Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The bacterial toxin involved in botulism.
- ‘Customers have a free consultation to see if they are suitable for the treatment, which involves an injection of botulin toxin type A in the forehead to smooth out lines, and are asked to complete a health questionnaire.’
- ‘They could poison us with botulin, or try to infect us with the plague or anthrax.’
- ‘They also suggest that the drug could be mass-produced and stockpiled as a deterrent to the use of botulism toxin, or botulin, as a weapon.’
- ‘In Japan, the use of hyaluronic acid and botulin toxin is not officially permitted for plastic surgery, but the health ministry allows doctors to decide whether they can be used or not.’
- ‘Botulin bacteria produce the botulin toxin, and this toxin is deadly to people in incredibly small quantities (as little as a billionth of a gram).’
- ‘It also noted a scientist had been asked to take botulin home to his fridge to hide but (perhaps understandably but all the same courageously in the circumstances) had refused.’
- ‘But all of these toxins would be considered ‘lightweights’ compared to the protein-based botulin toxin, produced by botulinum bacteria and associated with botulism, the most severe form of food poisoning.’
- ‘Sphincterotomy is a more familiar treatment in select cases, but the use of topical therapy and botulin toxin injection are gaining support, even in patients who are less symptomatic.’
- ‘They had started research on botulin and anthrax in 1942-the USA had signed the protocol but not ratified it - and by 1944 had reached an advanced stage.’
- ‘Workers have unearthed buried bombs they say are loaded with anthrax, aflatoxin and botulin toxin, and inspectors are analysing the contents.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.