One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Butane or propane gas stored under pressure in portable tanks.
- ‘They sold fireplaces, bottled gas, paraffin, hardware, household items and firearms.’
- ‘I was especially not pleased to discover that because we have no mains gas supply and so would need to run a gas hob on bottled gas we'd be in for an additional installation charge of £250.’
- ‘We cooked using bottled gas, which would inevitably run out when the dinner was being cooked.’
- ‘Bipin, who lives on Alford Close, Breightmet, helped to establish Beergas, a Halliwell based company supplying bottled gas to pubs and restaurants.’
- ‘She had to move to a new classroom because her other one exploded when one of the students lit a firecracker around one of bottled gases.’
- ‘Once you've worked out the different types of boiler, you need to know that they can be fuelled by mains gas, bottled gas, oil, electricity or solid fuel.’
- ‘The divorced father-of-two ran a bottled gas company which was an established and well-respected family firm handed to him by his father.’
- ‘Marigot resident, Sylvester Joseph, who was involved in installing the tank back in the 1960s, supplied bottled gas to fuel the cutting equipment.’
- ‘However, the vast majority of climbers, past and present, would be unable to survive high on the mountain without bottled gas.’
- ‘In addition there was a bottled gas heater in the seat of the blaze and it was very hot.’
- ‘He operated the bottled gas company through most of the 1960s and '70s before inheriting half of the estate.’
- ‘Then in the early 1980s Michael took on the sub-post office and in 1989 he added the agency business for bottled gas.’
- ‘For cooking, she uses bottled gas instead of the traditional dried dung burned in iron stoves.’
- ‘In the early 1950s Edmund Gannon set up his bicycle repair shop with radio services, hackney business, undertaking and bottled gas.’
- ‘From there they buy bottled gas to light their ancient stone houses, and bread as well as anything else that they can't provide for themselves.’
- ‘These gas sources range from bottled gas in a tank, to spring or compressed gas pistons.’
- ‘There is no electricity; some islanders use bottled gas for lighting and cooking.’
- ‘Liu's wife, a senior physician, understands his art and takes care of him in the small apartment, cooking for him with bottled gas.’
- ‘The bottled gas was only good for a partial inflate.’
- ‘Instead, as in Sahib Singh Verma's showpiece, Indraprastha, the women were promised bottled gas but as with other promises, nothing has materialised so far.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.