One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bottle-shaped hydraulic jack used for lifting heavy objects.
- ‘The bus was jacked up and supported by a 12-ton bottle jack that was placed under the differential.’
- ‘On top of the hydraulic bottle jack is a nice scrap of 1’ thick steel plate.’
- ‘Like the bottle jacks, these did not require pulleys or belts, as the spit was attached directly to the gears.’
- ‘Take a glance around just about any tire shop and you'll find a group of bottle jacks sitting in a corner or in a tool bin collecting dust.’
- ‘Exceptional quality of service floor jacks, bottle jacks, transmission jacks, rams, jack stands and other equipment leave no doubt about the choice.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.