One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bottle-shaped hydraulic jack used for lifting heavy objects.
- ‘Like the bottle jacks, these did not require pulleys or belts, as the spit was attached directly to the gears.’
- ‘The bus was jacked up and supported by a 12-ton bottle jack that was placed under the differential.’
- ‘Take a glance around just about any tire shop and you'll find a group of bottle jacks sitting in a corner or in a tool bin collecting dust.’
- ‘Exceptional quality of service floor jacks, bottle jacks, transmission jacks, rams, jack stands and other equipment leave no doubt about the choice.’
- ‘On top of the hydraulic bottle jack is a nice scrap of 1’ thick steel plate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.