One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Time spent by a wine maturing in its bottle.
- ‘While people's perception of Bordeaux is often colored by expensive collectibles, prices cover a wide range, and most Bordeaux is eminently drinkable without additional bottle age.’
- ‘My palate is yearning for some complex, complicated wines with some bottle age.’
- ‘The other vintages displayed intensity, a particular sandalwood fragrance, especially with bottle age, and a lovely combination of dark-red fruit and ripe herbs, all held in a firm tannic grip that accentuated the wine's dryness.’
- ‘Only after two or more years of bottle age will a fine Meursault or Puligny-Montrachet start to show the quality of the fruit.’
- ‘No, these wines would not blow away the jaded palates of wine judges today, but they were balanced wines that developed nice complexity after a few years of bottle age.’
- ‘After another four months of bottle age, Kurni is ready for sale.’
- ‘Maybe a little more bottle age will smooth it out?’
- ‘It has quite big tannins which should soften with more bottle age.’
- ‘It is a big lush Pinot Gris which will get even better with bottle age.’
- ‘It has a dry style, but should be one to watch for further bottle age development of flavours like lychee and Turkish delight.’
- ‘However, for the more complex Pinot Grigio wines listed below, two or three years of bottle age will reward you with a more interesting and multi-layered wine.’
- ‘A McLaren Vale-sourced blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petit Verdot that has all the intensity, richness and muscle of Australian red wine at its best, but with a smart sense of balance and the value of bottle age.’
- ‘Many more wines are appearing at Crianza level, with minimum oak and bottle age.’
- ‘Good easy-drinking summer style which could benefit from further bottle age 1 to 2 years.’
- ‘Maybe these wines will soften and come around with a little bottle age, but at these prices these wines are meant to be bought and drunk immediately.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.