Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A network of private computers infected with malicious software and controlled as a group without the owners' knowledge, e.g., to send spam messages.
- ‘Maintaining a botnet detracts from time spent writing new worms and the skills are different, " Nolan says.’
- ‘Subsequent monitoring and forensic testing revealed that a botnet made up of open proxies in China was responsible for the attack.’
- ‘On the Internet, though, you can have a simple script do that, and even distribute the requests over time and over a botnet to evade lockouts.’
- ‘So at least this botnet is effectively down for now.’
- ‘The most serious current concern in the email security landscape is the rise of the 'robot-net', or 'botnet ' for short.’
1990s: blend of bot and network.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.