One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A native or inhabitant of the Balkan country Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- ‘Danis Tanovic, a Bosnian, wrote and directed the film.’
- ‘Sokolov tried a slightly different line than the one he played against Short, but once again the Bosnian drew a blank.’
- ‘It is no surprise because Bosnia-Herzegovina is a patchwork of Christian and Muslim, Croat, Serb, and Bosnian, Orthodox and Catholic.’
- ‘During the conflict in Bosnia in the mid-1990s, NATO deployed 60,000 troops, equivalent to one soldier for every 66 Bosnians.’
2The Slavic language of the Bosnians.
- ‘The company now posts all safety signs in English and Bosnian.’
- ‘Almost 95 percent of the population speaks Bosnian.’
- ‘Bates speaks Bosnian, English and a little German and Russian.’
- ‘Croatian, Serbian, and Bosnian are virtually identical; the distinction among them is a matter of identity politics.’
Relating to Bosnia and Herzegovina, its people, or their language.
- ‘In 1998, I became a Bosnian citizen.’
- ‘Hamburg went behind to an Otto Addo goal after half an hour, but went 2 - 1 ahead with goals either side of half-time from Bosnian midfielder Sergej Barbarez.’
- ‘That day a large group of village people gathered around a long picnic table eating barbecued lamb and singing Bosnian folk songs helped along by a drink not unlike poteen.’
- ‘He emigrated to the United States and now holds both US and Bosnian passports.’
- ‘During the Bosnian MPs' visit on Tuesday the opening of a diplomatic mission of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Bulgaria was discussed, as well as easing the visa issuing procedures for Bulgarian citizens.’
- ‘The villagers were interested to hear the CD that had raised so much money and had such an impact on their lives and it wasn't long before an impromptu session of Bosnian and Irish folk music was under way.’
- ‘Their mission is to survey an area of forest on the Bosnian border.’
- ‘Set during the Bosnian War, the film follows three soldiers - two Bosnian and one Serb - trapped together in a trench dug between enemy lines.’
- ‘The series of films has been put together by some of the leading names in world cinema, including Britain's Ken Loach, Hollywood actor/director Sean Penn and Bosnian film-maker Danis Tanovic.’
- ‘He has assured Hearts that one positive aspect of the trip will be the hospitality of the Bosnian people.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.