One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A port in southwestern France, on the Garonne River; population 235,878 (2006).
A red, white, or rosé wine from the district of Bordeaux.
- ‘The vast majority of Bordeaux and Burgundy is held by small farmers in small plots.’
- ‘I could have chosen a wonderful Bordeaux, but I didn't because this wine reminds me of so many memories.’
- ‘We can offer high rollers a glass of their favourite Bordeaux upon their arrival, or at any time.’
- ‘The cave consists of two climate zones: one part for the wine tasting with an open fire place and the other one with an air-conditioned and moisturized section for your favourite Bordeaux.’
- ‘If you take out a bottle of great red Bordeaux, you have to go through the business of decanting it and serving it properly.’
- ‘One Saturday after a match, Kevin and his wife invited me to their home and Kevin and I sat up drinking red Bordeaux.’
- ‘I actually have my own cellar at my house in Sussex where I am laying down lots of Bordeaux, among other things.’
- ‘As it is, the Cabernet Franc grape is often seen as a poor relation of Cabernet Sauvignon, the Bordeaux king.’
- ‘There's a Riesling glass, a Bordeaux glass, a Burgundy glass, a Pinotage glass.’
- ‘The price is ridiculous, thanks to the deep unfashionability of dry Bordeaux white wine.’
- ‘Dry Bordeaux white wine is a hugely overlooked phenomenon, but it is a star on the rise.’
- ‘Last year's heat produces the most puzzling vintage Bordeaux commentators can remember.’
- ‘It directly marketed vintage Bordeaux and personalised champagne to the Irish market.’
- ‘I'll start out by saying that this is one of my all-round favourite Bordeaux, but the last two years I have scored it less well than usual.’
- ‘It is a finely crafted red that's closer to Bordeaux than Coonawarra in style.’
- ‘This great classic is once again one of your favourite Bordeaux, and wine lovers are right in showing interest.’
- ‘There was a bottle of Bordeaux on ice as well as a bottle of Champagne chilling down below.’
- ‘Its wines have become the reference points for Bordeaux and all Cabernet-based reds.’
- ‘It is because of this tannin that the classic combo of steak and young Bordeaux is such a winner.’
- ‘But get it wrong and the food can have a very odd effect on the wine - red Bordeaux with blue cheese springs to mind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.