A rumbling or gurgling noise made by the movement of fluid and gas in the intestines.
intestinal gas, wind, gasView synonyms
- ‘On the emotional front melancholy, depression, irritability & inappropriate anger present themselves with the physical signs of abdominal distension and pain, gas, borborygmus, diarrhea.’
- ‘Dysfunction of the large intestine produces the symptoms of borborygmus and diarrhea; if the fluid is further exhausted, the symptoms will be constipation and so on.’
- ‘It is usually associated with noticeable flatus, belching, borborygmus, abdominal distension, or a combination of these signs.’
- ‘The intensity of borborygmus was low with afternoon administration, reaching only one-third to one-half that with morning administration.’
- ‘Within 30 minutes to 2 hours after eating dairy products they experience such symptoms as gas pains, cramps, diarrhea, borborygmi (rumblings caused by the passage of gas through the intestines), or flatulence.’
- ‘Patients complain of colicky abdominal pain, borborygmi and vomiting.’
- ‘The frequency and intensity of borborygmus were measured by a tracer.’
- ‘The carcinoid syndrome is classically described as flushing, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps, but borborygmi, cyanosis, telangiectasis, pellagra like skin lesions, wheezing, dypsnea or palpitations may also occur.’
Early 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek borborugmos.