One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for boric
destitute, poverty-stricken, impoverished, indigent, penniless, insolvent, impecunious, ruined, pauperized, without a penny to one's name, without two farthings to rub together, without two pennies to rub togetherView synonyms
- ‘Only the powder is effective since the boracic acid works when it is picked up by the sticky pads on the bottom of the feet of the cockroach.’
- ‘Sprinkle the boracic acid powder over the injured part and bandage.’
- ‘For this reason Jackie always adds boracic acid or borax to the spice and glue mix.’
- ‘Runny watery eyes, conjunctivitis, matter formation and sticky lids all respond well to simple bathing in weak boracic solution three times daily.’
- ‘By then several boracic fluxes had been developed for assaying metal ores.’
Late 18th century: from medieval Latin borax, borac- (see borax) + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.