One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for boric
destitute, poverty-stricken, impoverished, indigent, penniless, insolvent, impecunious, ruined, pauperized, without a penny to one's name, without two farthings to rub together, without two pennies to rub togetherView synonyms
- ‘For this reason Jackie always adds boracic acid or borax to the spice and glue mix.’
- ‘Runny watery eyes, conjunctivitis, matter formation and sticky lids all respond well to simple bathing in weak boracic solution three times daily.’
- ‘By then several boracic fluxes had been developed for assaying metal ores.’
- ‘Sprinkle the boracic acid powder over the injured part and bandage.’
- ‘Only the powder is effective since the boracic acid works when it is picked up by the sticky pads on the bottom of the feet of the cockroach.’
Late 18th century: from medieval Latin borax, borac- (see borax) + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.