Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a woman) sexually attractive.
good-looking, attractive, nice-looking, handsome, lovely, beautiful, pretty, as pretty as a picture, stunning, striking, arresting, prepossessing, winning, fetching, captivating, bewitching, beguiling, engaging, charming, charismatic, enchanting, appealing, delightful, irresistibleView synonyms
- ‘The bootylicious chick so crazy in love is the hottest - and nicest - star of the year’
- ‘That one suit that makes your bust look beautiful, your stomach look stunning, your legs look long and lean, and your booty, well, bootylicious?’
- ‘Also packaged with the bootylicious artwork is a DJ mix disc.’
- ‘Independent, free-spirited, and as bootylicious as her look-alike, Teresa tends to meet men who want to dominate her, which is the exact opposite of what she's looking for.’
- ‘The show is a result of North's belief that our bootylicious pop-culture world is just so ripe for parody.’
- ‘Serena, in particular, has caused a stir with her black studded tennis ensembles, the black Shox Boots from her Nike collection and the infamous black cat suit that was roundly deemed bootylicious.’
- ‘That's not to say that Green gets all bootylicious here, but with tracks like ‘Wish We Could Go Back’ and ‘Mad,’ she infuses a more rhythmic sensibility into her sound.’
- ‘Charlene poses as the kids' nanny and, through her bootylicious self, teaches everyone a little bit.’
- ‘These bootylicious babes did a fabulous job of fitting together in harmony while singing all their hits that have made them multi-platinum in many countries around the world.’
- ‘In short, you're looking at Britain's most bootylicious mid-range estate.’
- ‘And it's not just the ubiquitous bootylicious message that folks are complaining about.’
- ‘Third generation operators, constantly under attack for the huge debt their licences have incurred, may have found a saviour more bootylicious than bursary, according to a new report.’
- ‘Sexism seems to be making a comeback, too, with bootylicious babes everywhere, and attractive young TV news presenters being dismissed as autocuties or anchorettes.’
- ‘The contestants have just not been bootylicious enough this season.’
- ‘Destiny's Child stole the show by shaking their bootylicious bodies as always.’
1990s: from booty, on the pattern of delicious.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.