One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a disk) containing the software required to boot a computer.
- ‘If so, you may want to boot from a bootable Linux CD and wipe the boot sector.’
- ‘A bootable CD that provides a completely self-contained and fully functional desktop?’
- ‘If you maintain a bootable rescue disk, it may make sense to rethink the system components that should be on it.’
- ‘Also, there is no easy way to make copies of the CD-ROMs (especially bootable copies) without removing them from the server, which makes them unavailable for network users.’
- ‘It's a bootable disk with a rescue program on it.’
- ‘In the future, the lost data can be restored onto bootable CD or DVD discs or copied onto a hard disk.’
- ‘The adapter can be used as a high-speed bootable source for operating systems.’
- ‘It allows you to make the drive bootable, and you can also repartition the disk here, although any data resident at the time will be lost.’
- ‘To avoid booting from floppy disks, the workstations needed bootable network cards.’
- ‘The basic unit could be a 486 or later PC with a bootable CD-Rom or floppy drive.’
- ‘The second and simpler way was to use the command to create a bootable floppy disk carrying the ROM image and thus get the installation running.’
- ‘I have a couple of desktop machines here which purport to be bootable from a USB drive, but I haven't managed to get either to do that trick yet.’
- ‘You can quickly try the current project software by building a bootable floppy, as shown here.’
- ‘If it uses the FAT32 file format, any bootable floppy disk will do.’
- ‘It is easy to create and the only problem is developing a bootable floppy disk.’
- ‘It's another single, one-line command from a bootable linux disk that takes seconds to complete.’
- ‘Whether a tech makes house calls or has a shop, the tools of the trade should include a bootable disk, virus software, and diagnostic programs.’
- ‘It allows you create to multiple partitions and install different bootable operating systems in each partition.’
- ‘Not long ago, I used to be able to cruise some of the local white box stores and find bootable install CDs for $5 or $10.’
- ‘In both cases the exercise was completed in under 20 minutes, and the computers were bootable with their respectively new drives immediately.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.