One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a disk) containing the software required to boot a computer.
- ‘If you maintain a bootable rescue disk, it may make sense to rethink the system components that should be on it.’
- ‘Whether a tech makes house calls or has a shop, the tools of the trade should include a bootable disk, virus software, and diagnostic programs.’
- ‘The adapter can be used as a high-speed bootable source for operating systems.’
- ‘It allows you to make the drive bootable, and you can also repartition the disk here, although any data resident at the time will be lost.’
- ‘If so, you may want to boot from a bootable Linux CD and wipe the boot sector.’
- ‘It is easy to create and the only problem is developing a bootable floppy disk.’
- ‘It's another single, one-line command from a bootable linux disk that takes seconds to complete.’
- ‘The second and simpler way was to use the command to create a bootable floppy disk carrying the ROM image and thus get the installation running.’
- ‘You can quickly try the current project software by building a bootable floppy, as shown here.’
- ‘It's a bootable disk with a rescue program on it.’
- ‘In both cases the exercise was completed in under 20 minutes, and the computers were bootable with their respectively new drives immediately.’
- ‘To avoid booting from floppy disks, the workstations needed bootable network cards.’
- ‘It allows you create to multiple partitions and install different bootable operating systems in each partition.’
- ‘If it uses the FAT32 file format, any bootable floppy disk will do.’
- ‘I have a couple of desktop machines here which purport to be bootable from a USB drive, but I haven't managed to get either to do that trick yet.’
- ‘Also, there is no easy way to make copies of the CD-ROMs (especially bootable copies) without removing them from the server, which makes them unavailable for network users.’
- ‘The basic unit could be a 486 or later PC with a bootable CD-Rom or floppy drive.’
- ‘Not long ago, I used to be able to cruise some of the local white box stores and find bootable install CDs for $5 or $10.’
- ‘A bootable CD that provides a completely self-contained and fully functional desktop?’
- ‘In the future, the lost data can be restored onto bootable CD or DVD discs or copied onto a hard disk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.