One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who sells books, especially as the owner or manager of a bookstore.
- ‘By 1994, the plaintiff and his wife had become extremely successful art dealers and booksellers.’
- ‘Benefit tickets were sold by booksellers, by the theater, and by the author and his friends.’
- ‘Not only is Heather dictating what the booksellers should sell you, but also what they look like as they do it.’
- ‘The publisher would not reveal the size of its initial print run but said it was forced to publish a second edition with some booksellers quickly selling out.’
- ‘The earliest publishers were booksellers who sold authors' works direct to the public.’
- ‘It was listed in the next season's catalogue and the sales representatives had begun pitching it to booksellers.’
- ‘Such books are sold through small booksellers, who are not accountable to any sales laws and who do not care for business ethics.’
- ‘At a time when independent booksellers dealing in new books are struggling, the number of used bookstores is on the rise.’
- ‘In choosing a shelf for this particular book, the bookseller has several legitimate options.’
- ‘A marketing plan tells the booksellers how you plan to create demand for your book.’
- ‘What keeps people in publishing - as writers, as editors, as booksellers - is the practice of putting books in front of the public.’
- ‘The increasing demand for books is reflected in the inventories of the stocks of booksellers and publishers.’
- ‘While consumers may use bestseller lists as buying guides, the lists are useful to booksellers as a marketing tool.’
- ‘We did call a bookseller to value the books, but it was priced a little high.’
- ‘A local bookseller lends them the merchandise and pays them a small commission on each item sold.’
- ‘I used to be a bookseller and that generally means one acquires books without even trying.’
- ‘Prior to publication, booksellers had ordered a grand total of 200 copies of this second novel.’
- ‘Back here at home, I have had to sell this book at my local second-hand booksellers in order to buy a pack of cigarettes.’
- ‘Aiming to tap this holiday mood, a number of publishers and booksellers are organising book exhibitions in the city.’
- ‘This applies all the way down the chain of publication, to the bookseller, the librarian, and the newsagent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.