One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A decorative label stuck in the front of a book, bearing the name of the book's owner.
- ‘Hence, the importance of the much maligned bookplates occasionally found on books which serve to give us at least some information on previous owners.’
- ‘The Chinese painters were meticulous copyists of the bookplates, drawings, or watercolors of arms provided them.’
- ‘It wasn't hard for me to learn their language; I had learned quite a few now-dead languages from bookplates, and their language was not unlike one of them.’
- ‘The society's library received a personally inscribed copy of The Art Work of Louis C. Tiffany, containing Tiffany's own engraved bookplate.’
- ‘The front cover sports a bookplate from 1900 of Nietzsche wearing a crown of thorns, the back cover one of him naked, with remarkable musculature, posing on an Alp.’
- ‘Later, a friend who signed 3,500 bookplates for a limited-edition work on Ali told him he couldn't sign more than 500 bookplates at a time.’
- ‘Detectives also found bookplates and yellowing pages that had contained library stamps.’
- ‘We'd been keeping the bookplates in an unoccupied corner in a reasonably neat pile.’
- ‘The discovery of royal bookplates and fragments of artefacts already 1500 years old also hints at the king's ‘antiquarian interests’.’
- ‘He glued a special bookplate in each of the volumes as a memorial to his father.’
- ‘Numerous examples of her lively bookplates and covers are reproduced in full colour.’
- ‘The Chinese proved remarkably adept at reproducing the armorial designs, copying painted or printed patterns such as bookplates sent from Europe and America.’
- ‘I still have a Puffin Club bookplate stuck inside the cover of this book.’
- ‘She also collected bookplates and the woodblocks and metal plates from which they were printed.’
- ‘Attached to the back of the canvas was a bookplate (now removed but remaining with the painting) that is printed with the family arms.’
- ‘The mayor then presented them with copies of the books, complete with a Big Read bookplate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.