One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who takes bets (especially on horse races), calculates odds, and pays out winnings.
- ‘For any race, this is what the bookmaker does to ensure that no matter which horse wins, he gets the same profit.’
- ‘In Victoria, in contrast, race clubs had legalised bookmakers and banned the tote.’
- ‘Unlike the three previous days, it is turning out to be a bad day for the bookmakers as another favourite comes in.’
- ‘Sometimes it will bring a better dividend than betting with a conventional bookmaker, at other times not.’
- ‘What is to prevent Australians from gambling with British bookmakers and internet casinos?’
- ‘UK bookmakers, casinos and betting shops make billions of pounds every year.’
- ‘Some of us have to work and are unable to watch TV at home or stand around in bookmakers shops.’
- ‘It was a bad result for the bookmakers in one of the biggest betting races of the year with the leading two in the market coming home first and second.’
- ‘But in that race, as in many throughout the week, it was the bookmakers who were the winners.’
- ‘With so many well-fancied horses failing to finish, it was a good day for the bookmakers.’
- ‘Some bookmakers offer each way betting for the first five places in the big races.’
- ‘Once you had to travel to the nearest bookmakers or casino for a flutter.’
- ‘And the major bookmakers have cut the horse's price after sustained backing from punters in recent days.’
- ‘The most popular bet is on first goal scorer but it's a typical bookmaker taking bets on horse racing and other sorts of shenanigans too.’
- ‘Chances are you can find an Internet bookmaker who will accept your bet on the outcome.’
- ‘I hope to hear you in the bookmakers the next time he runs, it makes the winning all the more fun.’
- ‘The stakes in private clubs, bookmakers and casinos can be even higher, with a top prize of £2,000.’
- ‘Racecourse bookmakers face an uphill struggle attempting to match such concessions.’
- ‘Sad to report then that neither bookmakers nor the betting exchanges could find any trace of him.’
- ‘It's not creating a level playing field to penalise an exchange because it offers better value for a punter's betting pound than a bookmaker.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.