Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for bogeyman
- ‘Suitable subjects for booger tales are numerous Louisiana swamp and bayou terrors, many of them the products of Cajun folklore.’
2A piece of dried nasal mucus.
- ‘How do Baltimore artists grow past a fascination with wigs, boogers, and bicycles?’
- ‘But while doing a make-up check in the rearview mirror I found that I had a tiny little crusty booger on the tip of my nose.’
- ‘Is there a booger hanging from my nose or something?’
- ‘The worst thing I've ever gotten was a tissue with boogers in it.’
- ‘Maybe I should go check the mirror and see if their is a booger hanging out of my nose.’
- ‘I was too busy digging this enormous booger out of my nostril.’
- ‘‘Maybe I had a booger hanging out of my nose the whole time,’ I argued.’
- ‘What kid doesn't like a good joke about boogers or farts?’
- ‘He has the cutest nephews… I did find out from those children that booger is said as bogey, pronounced boe-gee, haha.’
- ‘Not in the nose… And this kid could win an award for the world's biggest booger!’
- ‘Kids do dumb things like eat boogers, worship Barney, and think world peace is possible.’
- ‘You can wipe away your nose boogers if you want on it.’
- ‘I never knew my nose was capable of such boogers.’
- ‘After an hour of talking about what boogers are made out of everyone went home.’
- ‘It's like when you're told at the end of a long double date that you've had a booger on your nose the whole night.’
- ‘There were also too many references to farts and boogers, and too many disgusting pictures of warts and eyeballs.’
- ‘I don't know if it is more interesting than eating boogers.’
Late 19th century: perhaps an alteration of bugger or bogey.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.