One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
postpositive (of fish dishes, stews, and soups) cooked in a simple way.
- ‘Monica ordered the black sole bonne femme, poached and served with a white wine and cream sauce with mushrooms and shallots at €34.50.’
- ‘This week, we're trying poached black bream with basil and peas ‘bonne femme.’’
- ‘A few years ago we brought in a top chef to do Dover sole bonne femme, frog's legs and halibut in spicy tomato.’
- ‘Chicken Bonne Femme is a classic Creole dish that dates back to the 19th century.’
- ‘Whether you use leftover baked apples from the Apple Bonne Femme, or apples cooked especially for this dish, the Apple Meringue makes an interesting dessert.’
French, from the phrase à la bonne femme ‘in the manner of a good housewife’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.