One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A smaller relative of the tunas, with dark oblique stripes on the back and important as a food and game fish.
Sarda and related genera, family Scombridae: several species
- ‘Hiding in the ship's shadows we spotted a silvery bonito, about a yard long.’
- ‘There were three strikes: two bonito the size of trout, and a yellowfin tuna no bigger than my forearm.’
- ‘Add the bonito, stir to combine, and set aside for 15 minutes.’
- ‘Be sure you have your trolling lines out; Vieques Sound is full of bonito, tuna and dolphin.’
- ‘Bring the mixture to a boil add the bonito flakes and remove from the heat.’
- ‘For example, the Japanese cook mackerel, bonito, and tuna by steaming them before smoking, after which they are dried.’
- ‘A the moment the bonito and common thresher breeds of shark are relatively plentiful.’
- ‘The family Scombridae, the mackerels, tunas, and bonitos, includes some of the world's most popular food and sport fishes.’
- ‘The laziest I get is to open a tin of tuna or bonito personally canned for me, of course, by Conservas Ortiz of Ondarroa, or to fry an egg.’
- ‘For fishermen preferring finesse to power, the challenge is to catch bonefish, kingfish and the sleek torpedo-shaped bonito on the fly.’
- ‘Several species of smaller tuna can be targeted including the bonito, skipjack and little tunny.’
- ‘Strain through a fine mesh sieve, discarding the bonito flakes.’
- ‘What to buy: tinned and preserved foods like bonito tuna, white anchovies and anchovy olives.’
- ‘The bar menu is limited, although they do offer grilled bonito, a moist white variant on tuna that is an Asturian staple.’
- ‘Talking to the boat skippers, they get dorado's and bonito within an easy cast of the shoreline during feeding frenzies.’
- ‘In summer, great shoals of gamefish arrive, including giant kingfish, barracuda, sailfish and bonito.’
- ‘Less obvious are schools of king mackerel, bonito and Spanish mackerel.’
- ‘Remove the konbu, add the bonito flakes, and simmer for ten minutes.’
- ‘Mackerel are members of the scombrid fish clade that includes tuna and bonitos and possess a forked tail.’
- ‘Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl and add the bonito flakes.’
- 1.1another term for skipjack (sense 1)
- ‘We have frozen ocean bonito for canning and smoking purposes.’
- ‘Aku, ocean bonito, is perhaps the most delicious eating fish.’
- ‘I also had a few pieces of barely-cooked ocean bonito - a little too fishy for me.’
Late 16th century: from Spanish.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.