Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A piece of candy, especially one covered with chocolate.
- ‘Garoto is tapping Ragold's U.S. distribution network for Velamints and Juicefuls, and may later add bonbons and other premium chocolate treats.’
- ‘Butler's cafe has raised the coffee bar to super-latte levels, and the chocolate truffles are worthy of a place in bonbon heaven.’
- ‘At last came the cheese cart, and after cheese came dessert, an array of chocolate bonbons, and a silver bowl of ripe cherries and blushing apricots.’
- ‘Don't you think that's too early for chocolate bonbons?’
- ‘Rob was at the finish with two bags full of cookies and bonbons from a local patisserie.’
- ‘As he toiled, she lay flat on her back on the living room floor, occasionally scratching her belly but mostly just watching Nick at Nite and eating bonbons.’
- ‘Like the bonbons that line gilded boxes of chocolates, their names adorn one storefront after another above displays of leather coats, designer purses and gold bracelets.’
- ‘So why didn't I go to work and write the thing, instead of dawdling around the house eating bonbons?’
- ‘The finest chocolate bonbons allow the flavor of the chocolate to come through without interference from the other flavors and ingredients.’
- ‘This tasty anti-globalization bonbon may have a slightly hollow centre, however, and the weakness stems, ironically, from a lack of information.’
- ‘And mochi ice-cream balls: Half-scoops of assorted flavors are coated with just enough pressed-rice candy to appear weird but taste like bonbons.’
- ‘As governor, he even prohibited over-the-candy-counter sale of bonbons with liqueur centers.’
Late 18th century: from French, reduplication of bon good from Latin bonus.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.