One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The part of the flight path of a bomber which brings it into position to release its weapons.
- ‘We left in the afternoon and completed our bombing run over the Gulf and started back as night was falling.’
- ‘The MiGs have recently been used on devastating bombing runs against opposition-held positions in the north of the country.’
- ‘Alright the plan is simple, we'll be using a sandwich attack for the bombing run to bring down the shields.’
- ‘It is worth noting that in August 1943 Johnson had won a rare Medal of Honor in carrying out a dangerous bombing run on Ploesti, Rumania.’
- ‘In 2002, a fighter jet from the 177th Fighter Wing crashed near a major highway after a bombing run to Warren Grove.’
- ‘A further problem was that a pair of ground transmitter-receivers could control only one bomber at a time during its bombing run and that might last up to ten minutes.’
- ‘During World War II, war correspondents braved Nazi bombing raids, hunkered down in foxholes with combat infantrymen, and flew along on bombing runs over Germany.’
- ‘We do have a rumor that the 12 guys who may have survived Air Force bombing runs might have given up.’
- ‘Helicopter gunships and jet fighters used the opportunity to carry out bombing runs over suspected enemy positions.’
- ‘‘One of the highlights of Bersama Lima was watching aircraft from five nations conducting low-level bombing runs on a target towed behind the ship,’ he said.’
- ‘Most of Compton's experience was in medium or high altitude bombing runs except for some strafing on the desert.’
- ‘The aircraft had lost its engine while making a bombing run on the enemy airfield and landed wheels up in the middle of the runway.’
- ‘Grandad shot out of bed, grabbed hold of her and informed her that the ‘pretty lights’ were in fact flares to light up the bombing runs for the German bombers.’
- ‘His final mission, a low-level bombing run, ended near An Loc, 60 miles north of Saigon.’
- ‘His literary aspirations were curtailed in 1942 by the outbreak of war, and for two years, as a navigator in the US Army Air Force, he made bombing runs over Germany.’
- ‘In the early years the students flew in Lincoln bombers and Anson training aircraft, conducting day and night cross-country navigation combined with bombing runs.’
- ‘The space fighter is ideal for space combat, bombing runs, and capitol ship engagements.’
- ‘The movie was about the work of two doctors to develop a flight suit that kept me from blacking out during dive bombing runs.’
- ‘A century ago to the day, artillery blasted away at landing craft on Normandy beach even after numerous bombing runs by allied aircraft.’
- ‘Back then he and his crewmates flew over Denver on simulated bombing runs, practicing electronic jamming of ‘enemy’ radar and honing navigational skills.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.