Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A short jacket similar to a flight jacket, but with a thick lining typically of sheepskin.
- ‘He had seen Carl before she did, waiting for her on the front steps, hands tucked inside his bomber jacket.’
- ‘The man in this incident is described as white, with short, light hair and wearing a dark bomber jacket and dark trousers.’
- ‘He was dressed casually in a leather bomber jacket and jeans.’
- ‘She then went ahead and straightened Calida's grey pleated skirt; put a grey ribbon in her hair and zipped up her grey bomber jacket.’
- ‘Suiting the autumn - winter trend, she has a fine wool hoodie, bomber jacket and a duffle coat.’
- ‘The black man is of slim to average build with short hair and was wearing a blue bomber jacket.’
- ‘On the night of the attack - at 7.15 pm on November 17 - the man was wearing a white bomber jacket with blue sleeves.’
- ‘He wore a baseball cap, a black bomber jacket and jeans.’
- ‘As long as he wears the bomber jacket I'll be happy.’
- ‘The taller of the two girls wore a lot of sky blue eye liner and a black bomber jacket.’
- ‘Her leather bomber jacket hung from the back of a chair.’
- ‘Hulme, dressed in a striped pullover and jeans and Maguire who was wearing a bomber jacket and white t-shirt, were flanked in the dock by two police officers.’
- ‘But there could be hidden treasures, like a perfectly washed-out Levi's jean jacket or Top Gun-style bomber jacket, just waiting to be worn.’
- ‘They are described as two white 18-year-olds 6ft 1in tall, one of them wearing a black bomber jacket and the other a white jacket.’
- ‘There was Bomber Steve, so called because he always wore a bomber jacket.’
- ‘The vicar was wearing a leather bomber jacket, which I found slightly incongruous given his profession.’
- ‘Recently I was looking through some old photos and came across a picture of myself attired in a black bomber jacket, jeans and my Doc Martin boots.’
- ‘I put on my brown bomber jacket and my white beanie with the visor on the front.’
- ‘The gunman, who wore a balaclava and a black bomber jacket, ran out of the house and fled the area, initially on foot.’
- ‘The bomber jacket is a popular style this season; waist length with a zipper.’
bomber jacket/ˈbämər ˈjakət/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.