Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The defusing or removal and detonation of unexploded and delayed-action bombs.
- ‘Among the expert forces being deployed are bomb disposal teams and anti-sabotage experts.’
- ‘This device, received on Friday, December 15, did not go off and was dealt with by military bomb disposal experts.’
- ‘Although it had no warhead, Naval bomb disposal experts destroyed the torpedo in a controlled explosion.’
- ‘A passing police patrol raised the alarm after they discovered the rocket which was later defused by British Army bomb disposal experts.’
- ‘North Yorkshire Police's tactical fire arms unit, army bomb disposal experts and dog handlers were joined by dozens of uniformed officers at the scene.’
- ‘Fourteen hours later, residents and neighbours were still being kept away and Army bomb-disposal experts were still at the scene.’
- ‘The work of military and civilian bomb disposal experts also involves the handling of improvised explosive devices planted by terrorist groups.’
- ‘Army bomb-disposal experts were yesterday called to the Golf Club in after a pipe bomb exploded on the course.’
- ‘However, Army bomb disposal experts were called back into action after more suspicious objects were found during follow up searches in the area.’
- ‘But the package ended up going to the wrong house two doors down, sparking off a scare resulting in the Army bomb disposal experts being called in.’
- ‘Army bomb disposal experts were also summoned to the graveyard after a suspect device was found under an Irish tricolour at the plot.’
- ‘A Royal Logistics Corps bomb disposal squad arrived hours later after police became alarmed by the discovery of unidentified items in one of the rooms.’
- ‘A cordon was put in place and the army bomb disposal squad carried out a controlled explosion.’
- ‘There was traffic disruption after bomb disposal experts were called out to remove an unexploded mortar shell found dumped in a ditch.’
- ‘Army bomb disposal experts from Catterick, North Yorkshire, carried out a controlled explosion of the passenger's baggage.’
- ‘Army bomb disposal officers eventually carried out a controlled blast, at about 6.30 pm.’
- ‘The device was defused by police bomb disposal experts.’
- ‘Meanwhile, in the south of the country, the army bomb disposal company has begun training.’
- ‘As Army bomb disposal experts were called to the scene, security sources indicated the target was probably police officers.’
- ‘The army bomb disposal team from Collins Barracks, Cork, carried out a controlled explosion on the device.’
bomb disposal/ˈbäm dəˌspōzəl/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.