Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] (of an extra part of a machine) able to be fastened on with a bolt or catch.
- ‘Well it seems like the boy racers spend a huge fistful of money on cool neon lights, mag wheels and bolt-on performance products - but do they get down and dirty?’
- ‘More rumor on the dusty street pointed to a new integrated disc brake mount (no more heavy bolt-on unit).’
- ‘I estimate the car to be a 1956 model and an American export car complete with bolt-on wheels.’
- ‘The upscale LX trim level adds color-keyed bodyside molding, bolt-on wheel covers, a passenger-side vanity mirror, a cargo cover for the wagon, and upgraded upholstery.’
- ‘The new car also has bolt-on end structures to reduce both the time and cost of crash repair.’
- ‘Valeo describes it as a bolt-on unit that uses existing alternator engine mountings.’
- ‘The bolt-on stereo speakers are surprisingly good.’
- ‘Its intelligent bolt-on (IBO) chassis was developed with UK design house Eldon for analogue TVs, but it can be used to add digital capability.’
- ‘The bumper itself is re-shaped and finished in dark grey to match the bolt-on, over-size wheel flares that cover the new five-spoke 16-inch alloy wheels.’
- ‘Bolt-on armour plates provide protection against 7.62 mm armour piercing rounds and 152 mm artillery shell fragments from a range of more than 10m.’
- ‘A bolt-on front end structure minimizes low-speed crash damage, and - along with the split rear fender - helps keep insurance costs in check.’
An extra part that can be fastened onto a machine with a bolt or catch.
- ‘Built off a 1967 Pontiac GTO Convertible, it featured genuinely interesting bodywork and some wild engine bolt-ons.’
- ‘Included with the sale is the car's original owner's manual and some detailed component manuals for the aftermarket bolt-ons.’
- ‘In case prestigious BMW bloodlines simply aren't enough to impress, this Bavarian drop-top also features a long list of bolt-ons which transform it from a superb curve carver into a first rate speed machine.’
- ‘This Beetle's body features a ton of new trim and factory-fresh bolt-ons.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.