Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a gun) having a breech that is opened by turning a bolt and sliding it back.
- ‘In fact, pump-action guns are no more lethal than bolt-action guns, semiautomatic guns, and so on.’
- ‘The old man motioned his fellow tribesmen to approach, raised his old bolt-action gun, and pointed it at Wright's chest.’
- ‘He picked up a wooden, bolt-action rifle equipped with a scope and handed it to Giselle.’
- ‘Battles here are a lot less intense as you find yourself reloading or suffering from the delay of a bolt-action rifle.’
- ‘Kimber is best known for its 1911-style handguns and high-quality bolt-action rifles.’
- ‘Most bolt-action rifles are designed to cock on opening.’
- ‘O.F. Mossberg & Sons is voluntarily recalling a limited number of its Model 695 bolt-action shotguns.’
- ‘Vinton followed suit and dropped the other guard as Eries cocked his bolt-action rifle and readied another shot.’
- ‘As far as we can determine, this unique rifle also represents the state-of-the-art in bolt-action firearm technology and design.’
- ‘In orderly fashion, two-hundred young native men took up flanking positions, armed with rifles, shotguns, even old bolt-action rifles.’
- ‘The same can be said for any bolt-action rifle, along with a host of other familiar firearms.’
- ‘How Wilson can provide a trigger like this on a semiauto rifle when many bolt-action rifles are afflicted with heavy, creepy triggers is one of life's mysteries.’
- ‘It may surprise you to know that America issued three bolt-action rifles to combat troops in WWII.’
- ‘This is easily the best detachable magazine system I have ever seen on a bolt-action rifle.’
- ‘The bolt-action rifle they designed was in many ways a very good rifle.’
- ‘If we carry a bolt-action rifle we need to develop the skill to work the bolt smoothly and efficiently.’
- ‘Traditional varmint hunters use a bolt-action rifle.’
- ‘It is a bolt-action rifle instead of automatic, which locks the round in place better and gives more consistent accuracy.’
- ‘In cooler weather, I spent nearly every free moment testing handload combinations through my array of bolt-action rifles.’
- ‘Left-handed bolt-action rifles aren't rare anymore and there are even some left-handed automatic shotguns.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.