One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a gun) having a breech which is opened by turning a bolt and sliding it back.
- ‘Vinton followed suit and dropped the other guard as Eries cocked his bolt-action rifle and readied another shot.’
- ‘He picked up a wooden, bolt-action rifle equipped with a scope and handed it to Giselle.’
- ‘The same can be said for any bolt-action rifle, along with a host of other familiar firearms.’
- ‘Most bolt-action rifles are designed to cock on opening.’
- ‘As far as we can determine, this unique rifle also represents the state-of-the-art in bolt-action firearm technology and design.’
- ‘In cooler weather, I spent nearly every free moment testing handload combinations through my array of bolt-action rifles.’
- ‘Battles here are a lot less intense as you find yourself reloading or suffering from the delay of a bolt-action rifle.’
- ‘If we carry a bolt-action rifle we need to develop the skill to work the bolt smoothly and efficiently.’
- ‘This is easily the best detachable magazine system I have ever seen on a bolt-action rifle.’
- ‘Left-handed bolt-action rifles aren't rare anymore and there are even some left-handed automatic shotguns.’
- ‘Kimber is best known for its 1911-style handguns and high-quality bolt-action rifles.’
- ‘O.F. Mossberg & Sons is voluntarily recalling a limited number of its Model 695 bolt-action shotguns.’
- ‘In orderly fashion, two-hundred young native men took up flanking positions, armed with rifles, shotguns, even old bolt-action rifles.’
- ‘It may surprise you to know that America issued three bolt-action rifles to combat troops in WWII.’
- ‘The bolt-action rifle they designed was in many ways a very good rifle.’
- ‘Traditional varmint hunters use a bolt-action rifle.’
- ‘How Wilson can provide a trigger like this on a semiauto rifle when many bolt-action rifles are afflicted with heavy, creepy triggers is one of life's mysteries.’
- ‘In fact, pump-action guns are no more lethal than bolt-action guns, semiautomatic guns, and so on.’
- ‘The old man motioned his fellow tribesmen to approach, raised his old bolt-action gun, and pointed it at Wright's chest.’
- ‘It is a bolt-action rifle instead of automatic, which locks the round in place better and gives more consistent accuracy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.