One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wooden sword used as a practice weapon in kendo.
- ‘For the people who don't know, a bokken is a wooden Japanese sword that's used for training in swordsmanship.’
- ‘He allowed me a handicap by letting me use a wooden bokken while he used only a bamboo shinai.’
- ‘I remember one time when he entered the dojo in military uniform saying that he could cross a bokken with anyone.’
- ‘Furthermore I was intrigued by the sword-derived movements as well as the use of bokken.’
- ‘However, when I visited this student later, I found that the bokken had turned ‘dull’ as he had not been practicing with it.’
- ‘I also doubt he would be struck from behind if he did snatch my bokken for me.’
- ‘I loved everything about it, and at the end of the class Sensei had a bokken and he just did a straight shomen strike.’
- ‘I trained myself by swinging a bokken or a sword.’
- ‘I also learned that he had mastered the art of yadome, in which a bokken is used to deflect an arrow shot straight at you from a bow.’
- ‘That's why the Japanese invented the bokken so many centuries ago.’
- ‘I have my students use the bokken after mastering the sword up to a certain degree.’
- ‘Over the course of several months, Algren's skill with the bokken also grows prodigiously.’
- ‘I asked how they recognized me, and they said it hadn't been very difficult since I was the only one there with a jo and bokken in a bag slung across my back!’
- ‘I have my students practice movements with the bokken because it prevents their hands from drifting away from the center of their bodies.’
- ‘When I finished that I went home and practiced striking a bundle of sticks with a bokken.’
- ‘Chris turned around to see Brandon and Ami rushing out into the fray, Ami armed with a wooden bokken and Brandon with his sword.’
- ‘This time we used bokken and practiced various movements and then standing techniques.’
- ‘Of course we did not have a real sword, but Yoshida had carved each us each a good bokken.’
- ‘Disc Two is packed with more extra content than you can shake a bokken at.’
- ‘The intensive training included classes devoted to study of the jo and bokken, the staff and the wooden sword.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.