One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Chinese cabbage of a variety with smooth-edged tapering leaves.
- ‘Shoppers inspect bunches of lemon grass and bok choy; others pile items like banana sauce, frozen radish cakes, and bottled curry paste into their carts.’
- ‘This diet suggests daily doses of fresh vegetables, including turnips, mustard greens, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, bok choy, ginger root and sea vegetables.’
- ‘Cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, bok choy, garlic and onions are all examples of vegetables high in sulfur.’
- ‘Soft and chewy with an intense filling of baby bok choy and shiitake, these little pillows taste overwhelmingly of the colour green.’
- ‘Wrap the squash and bok choy around the tuna, using the plastic wrap to secure the outside.’
- ‘This summer he's growing a new vegetable called bok choy and three types of sunflowers.’
- ‘The Asian variety has a looser head, and includes bok choy, a favorite in Eastern cooking.’
- ‘Dr. Lee loved to whip up Chinese dishes, using home-grown bok choy, asparagus and snow peas.’
- ‘Place over high heat and add the scallops, shiitake mushrooms, and bok choy.’
- ‘The bok choy takes about 45 to 50 days from seed to harvest.’
- ‘I predict squid, bok choy and oyster sauce, followed by rhubarb and custard tart on the menus of Marchmont next year.’
- ‘For example, almonds, molasses, figs, fortified cereal and bok choy all provide calcium.’
- ‘Mum had the Fish of the day, served on beetroot and bok choy, with salsa verde.’
- ‘The vegetables, a mixture of bok choy, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, were fresh and delicious.’
- ‘Within a week or so, our conversations about carrots and bok choy progressed onto the demise of his marriage, my formerly broken heart, etc.’
- ‘Broccoli, spring onions, bean sprouts, celery, onions and bok choy were all pan fried with soy sauce.’
- ‘Sometimes, if you are on the losing end of a long delivery list, your minestrone might be tepid or your sautéed bok choy soggy.’
- ‘Calcium can be found in dark, leafy greens such as kale, mustard and collard greens, bok choy, broccoli, beans, and tofu.’
- ‘After the soil warms to 40 degrees, begin planting frost-tolerant greens like arugula, Chinese cabbage, cress, kale, mustard, bok choy and spinach.’
- ‘Arrange the bok choy in a rectangular shape on a plate.’
- ‘When it comes to bok choy, napa cabbage, mungbean sprouts, snow peas, litchis and kumquats, you no longer have to make a trip to Chinatown.’
- ‘The unfortunate broth has an acrid, bitter tang, and the side of steamed bok choy is unreasonably stringy.’
- ‘Turn over a new leaf with romaine, radicchio, arugula, bok choy, watercress, frisée and mesclun (a mix of baby lettuce leaves) and mix them.’
- ‘She favors tender young mustard leaves, curly kale, and crunchy-stemmed baby bok choy, or pak choi.’
- ‘Place a portion of parsnip gratin and bok choy next to it.’
- ‘More mature greens, such as bok choy, collards, dandelion greens, and kale, need more attention.’
- ‘If you don't like spinach, try other green vegetables such as beans or bok choy.’
- ‘Downy lobster in the gentlest yellow-curried coconut broth comes meshed with delightful bands of baby bok choy and carrot.’
From Chinese ( Cantonese dialect) paâk ts'oì ‘white vegetable’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.