Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Chinese cabbage of a variety with smooth-edged tapering leaves.
- ‘This summer he's growing a new vegetable called bok choy and three types of sunflowers.’
- ‘Arrange the bok choy in a rectangular shape on a plate.’
- ‘Shoppers inspect bunches of lemon grass and bok choy; others pile items like banana sauce, frozen radish cakes, and bottled curry paste into their carts.’
- ‘The vegetables, a mixture of bok choy, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, were fresh and delicious.’
- ‘The unfortunate broth has an acrid, bitter tang, and the side of steamed bok choy is unreasonably stringy.’
- ‘Soft and chewy with an intense filling of baby bok choy and shiitake, these little pillows taste overwhelmingly of the colour green.’
- ‘Sometimes, if you are on the losing end of a long delivery list, your minestrone might be tepid or your sautéed bok choy soggy.’
- ‘After the soil warms to 40 degrees, begin planting frost-tolerant greens like arugula, Chinese cabbage, cress, kale, mustard, bok choy and spinach.’
- ‘Mum had the Fish of the day, served on beetroot and bok choy, with salsa verde.’
- ‘Calcium can be found in dark, leafy greens such as kale, mustard and collard greens, bok choy, broccoli, beans, and tofu.’
- ‘Broccoli, spring onions, bean sprouts, celery, onions and bok choy were all pan fried with soy sauce.’
- ‘The Asian variety has a looser head, and includes bok choy, a favorite in Eastern cooking.’
- ‘Within a week or so, our conversations about carrots and bok choy progressed onto the demise of his marriage, my formerly broken heart, etc.’
- ‘More mature greens, such as bok choy, collards, dandelion greens, and kale, need more attention.’
- ‘This diet suggests daily doses of fresh vegetables, including turnips, mustard greens, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, bok choy, ginger root and sea vegetables.’
- ‘The bok choy takes about 45 to 50 days from seed to harvest.’
- ‘I predict squid, bok choy and oyster sauce, followed by rhubarb and custard tart on the menus of Marchmont next year.’
- ‘For example, almonds, molasses, figs, fortified cereal and bok choy all provide calcium.’
- ‘Dr. Lee loved to whip up Chinese dishes, using home-grown bok choy, asparagus and snow peas.’
- ‘If you don't like spinach, try other green vegetables such as beans or bok choy.’
From Chinese ( Cantonese dialect) paâk ts'oì white vegetable.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.