One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A decrease in the amount of oxygen associated with hemoglobin and other respiratory compounds in response to a lowered blood pH resulting from an increased concentration of carbon dioxide in the blood.
- ‘The Bohr effect cannot explain the excess demand for oxygen by muscle during heavy exercise.’
- ‘As you might imagine, the Bohr effect was first discovered by a guy named Bohr!’
- ‘This was thought to be caused by the immediate nature of the Bohr effect.’
- ‘The Bohr Effect aids in this function by releasing oxygen to the tissues when the concentration of hydrogen ions becomes large.’
- ‘This leads to a release of O2 to the peripheral tissues, a phenomenon termed the Bohr effect.’
Named for Danish physiologist Christian Bohr (1855–1911).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.