One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A decrease in the amount of oxygen associated with hemoglobin and other respiratory compounds in response to a lowered blood pH resulting from an increased concentration of carbon dioxide in the blood.
- ‘The Bohr Effect aids in this function by releasing oxygen to the tissues when the concentration of hydrogen ions becomes large.’
- ‘As you might imagine, the Bohr effect was first discovered by a guy named Bohr!’
- ‘The Bohr effect cannot explain the excess demand for oxygen by muscle during heavy exercise.’
- ‘This leads to a release of O2 to the peripheral tissues, a phenomenon termed the Bohr effect.’
- ‘This was thought to be caused by the immediate nature of the Bohr effect.’
Named for Danish physiologist Christian Bohr (1855–1911).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.