A large brown moth native to southern Australia, formerly used as food by Aborigines.
- ‘As the seasons came round, they gathered for feasts of bogong moths or bunya nuts.’
- ‘The bogongs, I am reliably informed, normally migrate from Queensland to the Snowy Mountains in October.’
- ‘I sense above the rotting bodies of bogong moths in Canberra an especial stench around the events of last Thursday.’
- ‘Recently concern has mounted about arsenic levels in the Bogong Moths.’
- ‘Who would support him if he chose controversially to burn off part of the Lane Cove River Park that was home to a distinctive family of bogong moths?’
Mid 19th century: from Ngayawuh.