One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A soft swelling of the joint capsule of the hock of horses, which most commonly occurs in young, fast-growing horses.
- ‘Uncomplicated bog spavin rarely interferes with the usefulness of the horse but is an unsightly blemish and indicates the need for radiographic evaluation.’
- ‘There is extra stress on the hocks, and problems like curbs, bog spavins and bone spavins are more likely.’
- ‘Sweating is used to reduce fluid retention, reduce windgalls, reduce bog spavins and tighten tendons.’
- ‘There has also been a claim among draft horse breeders that corn caused bog spavins in the hocks of draft horses.’
- ‘She had degenerative joint disease, arthritis, bog spavins and a bone spur on each hock.’
- ‘Depending on the cause of the bog spavin, several treatments are available and you should ask your veterinary surgeon to make a diagnosis and for advice.’
- ‘This is similar to bog spavin but more extended, and generally involves the front, inside and outside of the joint, giving it a rounded appearance.’
- ‘The swellings are more than likely caused by a build up of synovial fluid in the hock joint - these are commonly called bog spavins.’
- ‘My friend's horse, a four year old mare, has been diagnosed by the vet as showing the signs of a bog spavin.’
- ‘Windgalls, bog spavins and thoroughpins are bursal strains.’
- ‘Unsoundnesses which may occur here are bog spavins and curb.’
- ‘The swelling associated with thoroughpin is higher up and further back than a bog spavin and may be pressed from inside to outside and vice versa.’
- ‘Horses 6 months to 2 years of age are most often affected with bog spavin.’
- ‘Visit the library for books that provide more extensive information on bog spavin.’
- ‘It can also help settle things like bone and bog spavins with chronic inflammation.’
- ‘Also check for stringhalt, roaring (broken wind), bog spavins, and leg splints, which usually crop up in ex-work horses.’
- ‘Horses with a large hock angle (straight hocks) are not generally regarded as good prospects for athletic events and are said to be prone to thoroughpin and bog spavin.’
- ‘The spa can be used for common conditions found in horses from the hock down including tendinitis, bog spavins, laminitis, poor hoof growth, joint conditions and general stiffness and soreness.’
- ‘Both windpuffs and bog spavin are never associated with heat, tenderness, lameness or radiographic changes.’
- ‘Anyway, my horse still has minor swelling in the front of the hocks and the wonderful bog spavins that come with all of this.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.