One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Soft, spongy goethite deposited in bogs.
- ‘Also needed were iron ore or bog iron, limestone to be used as the purifying flux, and a water power source to run the bellows to deliver huge amounts of air into the blast for twenty-four-hour-a-day operations.’
- ‘Several large pieces of iron slag suggest the village was self-sufficient for iron tools, perhaps using ‘bog iron’ as raw material.’
- ‘The very earliest tools were probably made of local bog iron.’
- ‘Bog iron is a renewable resource, making it particularly important.’
- ‘Bog iron is naturally occurring in and around Kingston and is extracted from the iron-rich sediment found in many swampy areas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.