One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of the Dutch and Huguenot population that settled in southern Africa in the late 17th century.
- ‘During the 16th and 17th centuries, Dutch, Boers, Germans, and Huguenots migrated to South Africa, and these people brought with them their own European hunting dogs.’
- ‘The Boers or Afrikaners, as the descendants of the Dutch called themselves, ceded the Cape to Great Britain in an 1814 treaty.’
- ‘The crisis in South Africa which caused the war was the culmination of 250 years of expansion and conflict between the Boers, mainly Dutch, and British settlers.’
- ‘The truth is that in two hundred years the stiffest opposition the British faced in Africa were the Boers and the Afrika Korps.’
- ‘The first major activity of the new federation was to send Australian troops to South Africa to fight the Boers.’
- ‘The British endured similar military embarrassment at the hands of Indians, Afghans, Zulus and Boers.’
- ‘The war arose from rivalry between Britain's claim to be the paramount power in southern Africa and the desire of the Boers (descendants of Dutch settlers) for autonomy.’
- ‘The Australians fought again in Africa at the end of the century, supporting the British fight against the Boers in South Africa.’
- ‘Although they were called Boers, the Dutch word for farmer, it would be a mistake to think of all the Afrikaner trekkers and their descendants essentially as farmers.’
- ‘Events in South Africa were not dissimilar, but were complicated by the presence of the Boers.’
Relating to the Boers.
- ‘They had been found guilty by court martial of killing Boer prisoners.’
- ‘This meant the destruction of Boer farms, the confiscation of horses, cattle and wagons and the rounding up of the inhabitants, usually women and children.’
- ‘The immediate and direct result of the surrender was that the two former Boer republics lost their independence and had to submit to British sovereignty.’
- ‘Du Plessis admitted that a video about the prophesies of Boer prophet Siener van Rensburg had not incited anyone to violence and in fact took the form of a warning to people to turn to God.’
- ‘Under his command the concentration camp was invented to contain Boer women, children and elderly men removed from their farms.’
From Dutch boer ‘farmer’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.