Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A close-fitting woman's garment for the upper body that is closed at the crotch.
- ‘After all, it's 1980 we're talking about here and you know the old saying, ‘If you can remember 1980… you wore a body shirt.’’
- ‘One late Saturday morning, I was out on our patio eating breakfast when she came out with what appeared to be a body shirt that snapped at the crotch.’
- ‘It is an act of worship to the sixties and seventies - to flares and body shirts and all that glitters.’
- ‘I'll be wearing a pair of mauve and yellow striped flared corduroy jeans, white platform sole shoes, a brown body shirt with white-trimmed large collar - admittedly a tad frayed at the edges - and a pale blue safari suit jacket.’
- 1.1A close-fitting blouse or shirt.
- ‘If a body shirt worked back then it probably will work for its original purpose today.’
- ‘He paired sexy bikinis and halter-top bathing suits with body shirts and other pieces in his signature Deep Sea Treasures print.’
- ‘Fashion also had an impact on hairstyles when men began wearing flares, platform shoes, seersucker trousers, and body shirts and denim came into fashion.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.