One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A political leader's personal aide or assistant.
assistant, helper, adviser, right-hand man, attaché, adjutant, deputy, second, second in command, lieutenant, wingman, acolyte, auxiliary, companion, confidanteView synonyms
- ‘Love, 26, the handsome young "body man" to Obama during the campaign, will be at the president's side for much of the day.’
- ‘At a rally in Charlotte, Barack Obama recently thanked his body man, a 26-year-old former Duke basketball player, whose duties include playing with the senator, and other tasks.’
- ‘While his trade was a body man, it was not his habitual trade.’
- ‘He is not the first former body man to parlay the job into bigger things.’
- ‘He also admitted that he didn't know exactly what was in those blue boxes with ribbons that his body man, Reggie Love, was toting for world leaders.’
- ‘They leave Mallory glancing across the light table at her young assistant, Paul Winter, just out of college but a capable body man.’
- ‘They would say that he was a close associate and a body man for him.’
- ‘On NBC's "The West Wing," President Josiah Bartlet treated his body man, Charlie Young, like a son.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the IHT profiles Obama's "body man" Reggie Love.’
- ‘First, he is an elitist who has a butler (actually a body man, as any viewer of the West Wing could have told you).’
- ‘He sets national strategy, helps write the ads and raise the money, approves every expense and even plays body man at events, clearing Huckabee's way through the crowd.’
- ‘What a body man does depends on the politician.’
- ‘During the four years he spent as President Bush's "body man," or personal aide, Blake Gottesman acquired an eclectic set of job skills.’
- ‘In Berlin, the tabloid Bild sent an attractive blonde reporter to stalk Obama at the Ritz-Carlton gym as he exercised with his body man, Reggie Love.’
- ‘As body man, Mr. Gottesman worked closely with Mr. Hagin, gaining an intimate familiarity with the scheduling and advance operations he will now supervise.’
- ‘Mr. Love, 26, is Mr. Obama's body man, the personal aide who shadows the senator and anticipates everything he needs and everything he does not need.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.