Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The process of communicating nonverbally through conscious or unconscious gestures and movements.‘his intent was clearly expressed in his body language’
gesture, sign, wave, gesticulation, cue, prompt, indicator, indication, communication, messageView synonyms
- ‘His words speak of confidence and success while his body language indicates nervousness and discomfort.’
- ‘You could argue that interpreting body language involves unconsciously reading auras.’
- ‘Every dance has it own body language and includes movements that may be richly comic when we analyze them.’
- ‘I find mentalism, hypnotism and the study of body language very intriguing.’
- ‘He will become a master of your body language and facial expressions in no time at all.’
- ‘And there are definitely certain types of body language that will attract all sorts of attention.’
- ‘Elbow to elbow the fans look for body language that signals a horse is ready to rumble.’
- ‘The artist pays close attention to the facial expression and body language of men.’
- ‘Wiggins's facial and body language smacks of the gawky teenager in Dazed And Confused.’
- ‘This is something I am going to address with reference to feminist psychology on power and body language.’
- ‘Let others know from your body language that you welcome their communication with you.’
- ‘Yet once mastered, we can all use body language to get the message across in exactly the way we want.’
- ‘Imagine not being able to interpret the facial expressions and body language the rest of us take for granted.’
- ‘When you watch their movements in training, their body language will tell you things.’
- ‘I use a lot of body language to express my feelings and affection when I'm with friends in person.’
- ‘A good first step to becoming more assertive is to consider your own body language through role play.’
- ‘Now I'm no psychiatrist but I do have a good understanding of psychology and body language.’
- ‘They read body language and eye movements so that they know when they're saying things.’
- ‘I became more conscious of my body language and my level of physical contact.’
- ‘The distinctive ear tufts are a tool for sending signals to other lynx by body language.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.