One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The subjective picture or mental image of one's own body.
- ‘The main areas are smoking, alcohol and the dreaded body image.’
- ‘Most people don't know the pervasiveness of distorted body image until they've thrown themselves into the thick of it.’
- ‘Although girls getting plastic surgery is a big deal, it stems from bad body image and low self-esteem.’
- ‘When a child is forever changed by a traumatic event, she or he must learn to live with their altered body image.’
- ‘Both groups, however, demonstrated social concerns about their body weight and body image.’
- ‘Miranda's body image and sexuality have nothing to do with this.’
- ‘My mom taught me all the warning signs of eating disorders and how important it is to have a good body image.’
- ‘I was talking to a friend yesterday about women and body image.’
- ‘I'm studying gender and body image in the context of romantic relationships.’
- ‘Both were protests against bulimia and the culture's notion of body image.’
- ‘Secondly, it is overly simplistic to say that media images alone cause women's body image to change.’
- ‘Once each factor had been examined separately, the four-factor model of body image was tested.’
- ‘She trotted out her usual guff about how she's so happy with her body image now - although she's been saying that for years, hasn't she?’
- ‘A healthy body image means wanting to look and feel good while avoiding unrealistic expectations.’
- ‘Young women with bulimia nervosa are motivated by excessive concern with weight, shape and body image.’
- ‘Cash and his colleagues viewed body image as being composed of perceptual and attitudinal dimensions.’
- ‘When it comes to talking about body image, women of color with smaller frames are often left out of the discussion.’
- ‘Teenage girls who have a poor body image are four times more likely to start smoking than girls who do not have such concerns.’
- ‘In fact, exercise of any kind will help you keep the weight off and will boost your self-esteem and body image.’
- ‘Previous literature indicates that women place greater importance on their own body image than do males.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.