One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The subjective picture or mental image of one's own body.
- ‘Previous literature indicates that women place greater importance on their own body image than do males.’
- ‘Teenage girls who have a poor body image are four times more likely to start smoking than girls who do not have such concerns.’
- ‘Cash and his colleagues viewed body image as being composed of perceptual and attitudinal dimensions.’
- ‘Both groups, however, demonstrated social concerns about their body weight and body image.’
- ‘A healthy body image means wanting to look and feel good while avoiding unrealistic expectations.’
- ‘I was talking to a friend yesterday about women and body image.’
- ‘In fact, exercise of any kind will help you keep the weight off and will boost your self-esteem and body image.’
- ‘When it comes to talking about body image, women of color with smaller frames are often left out of the discussion.’
- ‘Most people don't know the pervasiveness of distorted body image until they've thrown themselves into the thick of it.’
- ‘Once each factor had been examined separately, the four-factor model of body image was tested.’
- ‘Young women with bulimia nervosa are motivated by excessive concern with weight, shape and body image.’
- ‘She trotted out her usual guff about how she's so happy with her body image now - although she's been saying that for years, hasn't she?’
- ‘My mom taught me all the warning signs of eating disorders and how important it is to have a good body image.’
- ‘Both were protests against bulimia and the culture's notion of body image.’
- ‘Secondly, it is overly simplistic to say that media images alone cause women's body image to change.’
- ‘I'm studying gender and body image in the context of romantic relationships.’
- ‘When a child is forever changed by a traumatic event, she or he must learn to live with their altered body image.’
- ‘Miranda's body image and sexuality have nothing to do with this.’
- ‘Although girls getting plastic surgery is a big deal, it stems from bad body image and low self-esteem.’
- ‘The main areas are smoking, alcohol and the dreaded body image.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.