Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A stand-in for a movie actor used during stunt or nude scenes.
- ‘He was using body doubles, thankfully, so there are only a few scenes where I'm seen in a somewhat compromised position or in a very compromised position.’
- ‘He even let his wife, former model, Helen Labdon, choose a body double for him during some of the orgy scenes, confessing to Entertainment Weekly that she ‘went a little bigger than I would have’.’
- ‘Unless she had a body double doing the pushing for her while she polished her Oscar in a nearby Winnebago, she should have been doing nothing more strenuous than lifting a cup of tea and playing pass the baby with her nearest and dearest.’
- ‘Put those fragments together and you get Kim Novak as her own body double in Hitchcock's most touching ode to fetish and scopophilia.’
- ‘Marvel as Anne Archer is given a nude body double that looks more like a hairy Sasquatch than our elegant actress.’
- ‘Patricia admits to starring in the movie, but denies simulating sex, saying a body double was used for the sex and nude scenes.’
- ‘Keenly anticipated as the last genuine Bruce Lee film, it proved to be a clumsy combination of original Lee material, footage of his funeral and a laughable succession of body doubles.’
- ‘Kurosawa plays the role of both Shingen and the body double, imitating himself in order to re-claim what he had lost.’
- ‘Forty years earlier, we watch as Janet Leigh's body double for the shower scene in Psycho falls under the intense scrutiny of the movie-maker himself.’
- ‘There would be a topless scene of the actress, which would be done by a body double.’
- ‘Martin Bayfield, the former Bedford rugby club player, is appearing in the Harry Potter movie as a body double for Robbie Coltrane, as Hagrid the giant.’
- ‘In Undisputed, both Rhames and Snipes march towards their inevitable slugfest, an unadulterated punchout that demanded both actors work out with professional trainers since Hill wouldn't use any body doubles.’
- ‘Wigs, body doubles, and computer effects enable him to appear as several different characters in a given tableau, always looking uncannily like a boy on the edge of puberty.’
- ‘The film begins with the disclaimer stating that the cinema constructs a fictional space and that the actress is substituted by a body double in many of the scenes.’
- ‘In the film, a body double was used to shoot nude scenes of Manisha, apparently without her consent.’
- ‘In this modern age of computer-generated body doubles and talking donkeys, I don't think anyone could frighten me as much as Gilliam did, the first time I saw one of his rag-wearing, baby-faced homunculi.’
- ‘When Shanley was released on $300,000 bail the following December, after seven months in jail, his lawyer used a body double to divert the media frenzy.’
- ‘The body doubles are so obvious, they might as well have held up big signs saying, ‘Look, I'm a body double.’’
- ‘Talking of doubles, Torpey is going to be a body double for actor Austin Bussey in the tennis sequences for a film called Wimbledon, which is being shot at The All England Club and Shepperton Studios in August and September.’
- ‘They lost six of the President's private guards, two of which were his body doubles.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.