One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strong dark beer brewed in the fall and drunk in the spring.
- ‘Then the Micro-brewery revolution introduced several different varieties of beer, from ales and porters, to bocks and even more pilsners, and the beer market took off.’
- ‘They shared a bottle of bock beer and talked about the war.’
- ‘In spring, the beer hand points to bock, a potent tonic to get you over cabin fever.’
- ‘The company, which sells its own brews as well as massproduced beers, places greater emphasis during the hot months on light beers than, say, the heavier ambers, bocks and porters, which are big in the wintertime.’
- ‘A simple roast pork loin is at home with bock beers, doppelbocks, softer pale ales, biers de garde, softer brown ales and Belgian dubbels.’
- ‘The bock is a strong, full-bodied, malty lager, no matter what the colour or ranges in alcohol content.’
- ‘Extra strong ales and lagers, bock beer, Adam bier, and barley wine are the brandy, cognac, and port equivalents of the beer world, capable of Armagnac status on the tongue.’
- ‘At the time he bought Spoetzl Brewery in 1989, the brewer of bock beer founded by German and Czech immigrants some 80 years earlier was just another regional brewer on a quickening slide into oblivion.’
- ‘I started so badly that I nearly struck the banister when Michaela returned, balancing five tankards of doppel bock beer on a tray.’
- ‘The various bock beers now sold are generally strong, malty, dark and smooth.’
- ‘I remembered Christina Herald telling me how disappointed she was that some bar didn't have double bock.’
- ‘Though a pate, rich and gamy in flavor, may require the creamy weight and tartness of a barley wine or bock beer.’
- ‘A lot of those heavier beers - porters, stouts, bocks and such - are available year round from many brewers.’
Mid 19th century: via French from an abbreviation of German Eimbockbier ‘beer from Einbeck’, a town in Lower Saxony, Germany.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.