Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Small balls of mozzarella cheese.
- ‘Nestled in terra cotta, thick, gutsy prosciutto barely girdles hunks of luxuriantly gooey mozzarella bocconcini that have been roasted into a delicious taffy, the perfect bonbon to chomp on during a film by the Taviani brothers.’
- ‘It was a warm day, so we passed on the squash bisque and instead ordered spicy shrimp tempura with a remoulade sauce and baby salad greens with bocconcini in a raspberry vinaigrette.’
- ‘By the age of eight, Donna had mastered Steak Diane, although today, she is more likely to serve steak pan-seared, thinly sliced, tossed with basil, bocconcini, chives, and a tangy mustard dressing.’
- ‘Add the mozzarella, bocconcini, tomato and cracked pepper to the pizza.’
- ‘The cabo was a warm casserole-style dish of thin layers of eggplant and sliced tomatoes, topped with melted bocconcini cheese.’
- ‘To start, we ordered the bold-sounding octopus and bocconcini salad as well as a scallop antipasto.’
- ‘Place the remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a bowl, mix together well and then drizzle over the bocconcini.’
- ‘I sampled the caprese salad with marinated tomatoes and bocconcini and the artichoke caprese salad with marinated roasted red peppers, artichokes and bocconcini.’
- ‘There's a wide range of slab pizzas, with toppings like bocconcini, spicy calabrese, onions and cheese, fresh tomatoes, rapini and the all-dressed Motta special.’
- ‘Both come with rice, a fresh tomato, cucumber and bocconcini salad, guacamole, and a handful of corn chips.’
- ‘The sandwiches cost $4, and you can choose from veggie pâté, chèvre, Swiss cheese, grilled tofu or bocconcini.’
- ‘Traditional Caprese salad has sweet, fresh bocconcini cheese, perfectly ripe tomatoes and pungent fresh basil.’
- ‘Bocconcini (baby buffalo mozzarella) is available from good delicatessens and many large food stores.’
- ‘In addition to several bar favourites including nachos and wings, Ennio's offers deep-fried bocconcini and several tempting seafood dishes, including mussels, escargots and mushrooms stuffed with crab, lobster and shrimp.’
- ‘Creamy cones of havarti strike a balance with these salt-and-vinegar stars, as do mild bocconcini, sun-dried tomatoes wrapped in grilled zucchini and (the only disappointment) dry and old-tasting grilled eggplant.’
- ‘The first taste was of the bruschetta - tomato and garlic in perfect harmony, made even better by pieces of artichoke, olives and creamy bocconcini slices.’
- ‘In fact, it should not recommend either, since the spicy salami, bocconcini and tomato panino is too stingy on fillings.’
- ‘The prosciutto, bocconcini and tomato combo was milder.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.