One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Italian game similar to lawn bowling but played on a shorter, narrower green.
- ‘It is a distant cousin of horseshoes and a close relative of bocce, but Petanque requires no specially prepared court - it can be played on most outdoor surfaces at any time.’
- ‘After months of training, the team is set to win in bocce, football and tack and field.’
- ‘James Jennings, an athlete, said he took part in ten pin bowling and bocce.’
- ‘Originating in the south of France, petanque is a game similar to lawn bowls, or the Italian bocce.’
- ‘When you play cards or boccia, or games in the family, there is always a winner and a loser.’
- ‘While the vast majority of bocce games are played in area back yards, enthusiasts welcome the new courts in Occidental Park.’
- ‘Maybe, but after the game, we did kick their butts in bocce.’
- ‘The charity Scope is piloting a game for people with cerebral palsy called bocce, which is similar to the French game of boules.’
- ‘Among the sports the athletes will play are athletics, aquatics, tennis, five-a-side football, volleyball and bocce.’
- ‘Golds were won for boccia (a game similar to indoor bowling), plus men's 200m sprint, and wheelchair fencing events.’
- ‘And we'll head south as well, to a school in Melbourne, where students are learning all manner of sports not usually of interest to Australian teenagers, like bocce, the Italian bowls game.’
- ‘Last year they won the under-11 boys' hockey, were runners-up in the under-11 athletics and took the Fair Play awards in boccia, hockey, netball and rugby league.’
- ‘St Lucia first participated in bocce at the 2000 North Carolina World Games.’
- ‘The Italian sport of bocce, lawn bowling with heavy metal balls, is a popular pastime.’
- ‘The competition will include athletics, basketball, boccia, football, hockey, netball, rugby league, rugby union, tennis and cycling.’
- ‘Gabriel, who suffers from cerebral palsy, will represent his country in the discipline known as boccia.’
- ‘But the attempt was thwarted when the Russians landed in the town and found it full of aging, hairy, flabby Italian men playing bocce.’
- ‘A type of bowling played on clay court called bocce is popular in small towns.’
- ‘Petanque may be the only sport inspired by a disability - that of Jules LeNoir, who in 1910 was a dedicated player of boules, a French game much like bocce ball.’
- ‘They made tables and seats for the ladies, and they often come here and play bingo while the men are playing bocce.’
Italian, ‘bowls’, plural of boccia ‘ball’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.