One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A New World quail with mottled reddish-brown plumage, and typically a pale throat and eyestripe.
- ‘The dogs had flushed a skulking covey of bobwhites.’
- ‘We start to hope that maybe bobwhites or turkeys will choose our yard and thrill us with their presence as they cautiously try to capture some of the seed bounty on the ground.’
- ‘On the hunting fields, 12,000 birds are harvested annually, consisting of pheasants, chukar partridge and bobwhite quail.’
- ‘Dog handler Shawn Griffin kneeled and grabbed a bobwhite quail from the panting pointer.’
- ‘And, like the setter, he can be relied on to do an adequate job of handling bobwhites and pheasants, under average conditions.’
- ‘The bobwhite is an excellent example of a species on the wane.’
- ‘There is a place where bobwhites thrive, there on the Texas plains.’
- ‘Wild bobwhites bear as little resemblance to their pen-raised kin as Cessnas do to F - 16s.’
- ‘I knew that the bobwhite hustling toward a nearby thicket was going to be lunch long before I touched the trigger.’
- ‘Our ‘best’ birds of the summer, at least so far, have been a pair of bobwhite, eating the white millet that we scatter on the ground for the doves and sparrows.’
- ‘Squirrels, unlike popular game species such as white-tailed deer and bobwhite quail, are not ‘edge’ creatures.’
- ‘As a control, the researchers also exposed chickadees to a perched bobwhite quail, a non-predatory species.’
- ‘The berries hang on into early spring unless devoured by songbirds, bobwhite, deer, squirrels, or wild turkey.’
- ‘Urban sprawl and changes in fanning methods have been hard on bobwhites.’
- ‘The first of these was an intense passion among local farmers for hunting that delicious, wild speckled bird known as the bobwhite quail.’
- ‘The bobwhite quail counts are nothing less than ‘splendor in the grass’ across most of South Texas.’
- ‘A bobwhite called intermittently in the distance.’
- ‘Suddenly the ground is alive with squirrels and bobwhite quail.’
- ‘Sadly, the 38 bobwhite reported by only 5 observers, plus a covey of 6 seen before the count, confirms the rapid decline of these once abundant Cape birds.’
- ‘When contest sponsors add wild hogs and bobwhites to the list, Texans will be the favorites.’
Early 19th century: imitative of its call.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.