One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounNorth American
Short socks reaching just above the ankle (used chiefly in the 1940s and 1950s to refer to the socks worn by teenage girls).
- ‘If you really get into it, you might even find yourself sporting short-cropped bangs, bobby socks and a poodle skirt.’
- ‘In Isis, a young girl with a small, sweet smile poses shyly in a short white dress, bobby socks and a wedding veil.’
- ‘I feel it should only be sampled while wearing bobby socks and sipping a vanilla shake.’
- ‘Elizabeth dresses in pinafores, bobby sox, and Keds.’
- ‘The 1950s featured bobby socks, crew cuts, Hogan caps and persimmon.’
Compare with bob in the sense ‘cut short’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.