One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An adolescent girl.
young woman, young lady, girl, schoolgirl, slip of a girlView synonyms
- ‘With timing so flawless and a tenor so strong he made bobby-soxers swoon and tough guys cry, the awkward kid from Hoboken became the standard bearer for almost all aural bliss.’
- ‘The dance is set up as wholesome bobby-soxer swing, but Hayworth projects a voluptuous energy that practically burns a hole in the celluloid.’
- ‘This is a bittersweet Golden Age of speakeasies, hoods, the Great Depression, squealing bobby-soxers, lynchings, jitterbugging, novelty tunes and early moves toward racial integration.’
- ‘In the USA, where wartime conditions bred v-girls and the zoot-suit riots, and where new words such as ‘teenager’ and ‘bobby-soxer’ described the young, the statistics varied.’
- ‘Along with the famous poodle skirts and ponytails, saddle shoes, penny loafers, and colored sneakers were popular with teenaged bobby-soxers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.