Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A cylinder or cone holding thread, yarn, or wire, used especially in weaving, machine sewing, and lacemaking.
- ‘Match the upper thread color with the bobbin thread to help disguise stitch inconsistencies.’
- ‘In a barn they found four men dismantling bobbins of yarn, packed with the Sovereign cigarettes.’
- ‘Lace is created by looping and twisting threads using a set of bobbins or a needle.’
- ‘Conveniently, there's a Fabricland at the mall across the street from my office, so I can go and buy all the necessary things like bobbins and thread and such.’
- ‘Most readily available topstitching thread is polyester, so pair it with all-purpose polyester thread in the bobbin.’
- ‘I removed the finished thread from the bobbin, and wound it into a big off-white ball.’
- ‘Thread the machine needle with white thread and the bobbin with red thread.’
- ‘Before releasing the animals, he attached to each one's back a bobbin of thread, one end of which was tied to the release mechanism.’
- ‘Wind thicker threads on a bobbin by hand, use regular sewing thread in the needle, and stitch with the right side down.’
- ‘She threw down the book and hurtled the bobbin of thread across the room.’
- ‘I've remembered what it was… I was going to plug that sewing machine in and see if I could wind a bobbin.’
- ‘Pull the basting bobbin threads to gather the skirt.’
- ‘In days gone by I would have ordered the non-standard bobbins my sewing machine uses from his shop and got them in mere weeks.’
- ‘For the bobbin, use either embroidery-weight bobbin thread or all-purpose sewing thread in a matching color.’
- ‘Holding the needle thread tail, take a stitch to draw the bobbin thread to the tuck surface.’
- ‘For the stretch stitch, use a polyester thread in the needle and a polyester or texturized nylon thread in the bobbin.’
- ‘For example, if your machine has a frontloading bobbin, the flat side of the needle faces the back of the machine.’
- ‘If the broken thread is the color of the bobbin thread, the upper tension is too loose.’
- ‘Its job is to carry the top thread into the bobbin case so the stitch can be formed.’
- ‘When creating a lace appliqué, use the same color thread in the bobbin and the needle.’
- 1.1A spool or reel.
- ‘Let out just enough slack line from the reel so that the bobbin is suspended two to three inches below the rod.’
- ‘The family room tree has a sewing theme, with spools, bobbins and buttons for ornaments.’
Mid 16th century: from French bobine, of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.