Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small float placed on a fishing line to hold the hook at the desired depth.→ bob
- ‘The bobber from a fishing line became entangled in a tree.’
- ‘The fishing is catch-and-release, and the young anglers are outfitted with cane poles and spincast outfits rigged with bobbers and hooks.’
- ‘A piece of Twizzlers' licorice hung from his mouth as he chewed on the candy, keeping a trained eye on the bobber and holding the pole tightly in his hands.’
- ‘When the bobber dips or the line tightens, you do not need to ‘cross his eyes; ‘indeed, reacting with violent rod sweep may tear the hook from a fine slab doing its absolute best to get caught.’’
- ‘If the groundwater level is up, it is possible that your septic tank could pop right out of the ground like a fishing bobber, ripping up all of the connected lines with it!’
- ‘I rummaged in my pack for nay emergency fishing gear, cut down a 10-foot sapling, tied on my line, sinker, and bobber, then sat down by the stream to relax.’
- ‘Surface current velocity was measured in three areas by recording the time taken for a bobber to travel 1 meter.’
- ‘The Dow Jones has gone up and down like a bobber being grabbed by a trout!’
- ‘In that first River memory I can see the red and white bobber floating on the surface of the pond and the line stretching beneath it bearing the soggy little invertebrate fate destined to be bait.’
- ‘There were catfish and some other smaller fish in it - bream, sunfish, bluegill, and crappie, I think - and we sometimes fished in it, me with a bobber and worm because I never could master anything more difficult.’
- ‘Both men were usually in the boat, one rowing and the other dropping a weighted float bobber on the datolite.’
- ‘A limber cane pole with lightweight line, small sinker, cork or bobber, and size 8 to 10 hook are all you need.’
- ‘I love all the little melodies and counter-melodies happening in the music - a synth line going up, percussive guitar melody moving down, bass dipping in and out like a bobber on a fishing line when an unseen pike is testing the bait.’
- ‘The water was choppy, and dunked the bobbers under several times and often, pushing them one way, then another, like utter chaos.’
- ‘Sometimes they lose their balances and pop upside down like bobbers which is fun and helps the learning experience.’
- ‘Rhythm abandons the cottage, shimmies out into the lake and moves a bobber, somewhere.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.