One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A waterside hotel with facilities for mooring boats.
- ‘The Resort includes lakeside boatels with lofts, cozy cabins, and luxurious rooms - some with Jacuzzis - within the facility's modern hotel complex.’
- ‘All docks, fuel and supply facilities, launching and lift facilities, boat sales and servicing areas, restaurants and hotels, motels, or boatels related to a marina must be a least three hundred feet from any residence except that of the owner or operator.’
- ‘Our covered boatels will ensure that your vessel is cared for year round.’
- ‘The botel can offer our exclusive saloon for conveying business conversations and conferences.’
- ‘Also, I've heard a lot about the botels, and people seem to like them, but I've never experienced one.’
- ‘The botel offers 86 basic but comfortable double rooms and suites.’
- ‘There were boatels too that provided services like docking and renting of boats for boating, water-skiing and skin-diving lessons.’
- ‘Buffet breakfast is served in the botel.’
- ‘But ZMOS (The Association of Towns and Municipalities of Slovakia) claims that the constitution of a so-called spa fund calculates these specific revenues as the only revenues and that the municipality has expenditures not only for individual accommodation providers, but also on hotels, boatels and motels.’
- ‘These seafood restaurants and boatels have since been relocated to facilitate reclamation works.’
- ‘You have a choice of over 60 carefully selected Bratislava hotels, botels, pensions, apartments ranging from budget to luxury.’
- ‘The botel offers an accommodation in comfortable single and double bedded cabins and apartments.’
- ‘Accommodations range from botels (floating motel room with dockage for your boat) to full service resorts.’
2A ship moored at a wharf and used as a hotel.
- ‘Today, it's the home of rent-a-party-barges called ‘Boatels.’’
- ‘The hotels on the water are called botels.’
- ‘We are very proud of our new 'boatel'.’
- ‘The proprietor, Bob Blanc, has plans to construct what he calls ‘boatel’ units - simple accommodations for the yachties using the marina.’
1950s (originally US): blend of boat and hotel.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.