One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small Central and South American heron with a broad, flattened bill and a prominent black crest.
- ‘Entire avian families, including cotingas, manakins, toucans, and ground antbirds, are essentially confined to the Neotropics, as are such unique species as screamers, trumpeters, sunbittern, hoatzin, and boat-billed heron.’
- ‘The Hacienda La Pacifica resort complex, adjacent to these preserves, is popular with birders for the natural habitat along the river right on its grounds, where boat-billed herons come to roost.’
- ‘The boatbill is a nocturnal animal and a shallow-water feeder.’
- ‘Our guide was especially knowledgeable about the bird life and was able to show us three boat-billed herons - magnificent tropical birds with broad bills.’
- ‘In the ponds we may encounter the Green Ibis, Snowy Egrets, Boatbill heron, the Purple Gallinule and the Wattled Jacana and many others.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.