One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, lively thrush found in northern Eurasia and Alaska. The male has a blue throat with a reddish spot in the center.
- ‘Furthermore, in bluethroats, European starlings, and blue tits female choice for males with greater UV reflectance appears to favor structural plumage traits.’
- ‘In many passerine species, including bluethroats, male removal results in an overall reduction in food supply.’
- ‘Wagtails and sandpipers squeak and dart amongst the thick glossy hyacinth leaves, and at the muddy edges, bluethroats scuttle this way and that like mice.’
- ‘The fact that the lost and wandering bluethroat could thrill a nation's newspaper readers is a perfect example of hope.’
- ‘A lost waif and stray of extraordinary beauty turned up in Aberdeen and made the front page of two national newspapers: a bluethroat looking enchantingly like a robin that had been coloured in wrong.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.