An edible North American freshwater fish of the sunfish family, with a deep body and bluish cheeks and gill covers. It is popular with anglers.
- ‘It is a good idea to start fishing for bluegills and redears a few inches off the bottom.’
- ‘Like other sunfish, bluegill have very deep and highly compressed bodies.’
- ‘Biologists also are in varying stages of research and replenishment of cobia, speckled trout, tarpon, snook, crappie, bluegill and striped bass stocks.’
- ‘Stock ponds and reservoirs with mosquito-eating fish such as green sunfish, bluegills, guppies or any surface-feeding minnow.’
- ‘It's safe to say that Burke Lake anglers have caught literally tons of bluegills, crappie, largemouth bass and other stocked gamefish since it opened.’