Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A blue-flowered lupine, especially common in Texas.
- ‘Mira missed the treasured days spent strolling along the Shannon, picking bluebonnets and dangling bare feet into the water.’
- ‘We saw maroon bluebonnets (Who even knew there was such a thing?).’
- ‘Jeannie bent to pick a bluebonnet from the side of the path.’
- ‘Hopefully this spring finds you enjoying your version of the Texas bluebonnets and Indian paint wildflowers.’
- ‘As with most species of wildflowers found in U.S. state or national parks, it is unlawful to pick or dig up Texas bluebonnets.’
- ‘The seat folds over to make a ‘tailgate’ bench and she has visions of spring picnics in fields of bluebonnets.’
- ‘It's a song about a mother and father who worked all their lives in obscurity, but lived in ‘the only place on earth bluebonnets grow,’ and about the way they loved their life and - memorably - about the way they described their death.’
- ‘In spring, the desert and mountains erupt into a vibrant carpet of spring flowers, including bluebonnets, bi-colored mustards, and numerous species of cactus such as prickly pear, claret cup and rainbow.’
- ‘She was gathering daisies, posies, dandelions, bluebonnets, roses, tulips.’
- ‘On Monday, he offered him a warm embrace and a kiss on both cheeks and gripped his hand as they disappeared into an office building on the ranch where bluebonnets, the Texas state flower, were making their spring debut.’
- ‘I stopped by the post office this afternoon and met these fellows in a patch of bluebonnets.’
- ‘Landscapes are her favored subject, as well as the bluebonnets, black-eyed Susans, and other wildflowers that surround the house in spring and summer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.