One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strike action, especially among police officers, in which workers are absent on the pretext of sickness.
- ‘Disgruntled drivers are pushing for an unofficial ‘choo-choo flu’ in the run-up to Christmas - similar to the Garda ‘blue flu’ - as complaints grow about staff shortages and rostering problems at the tram company.’
- ‘Even the blue flu by police and firemen could be tolerated.’
- ‘Two dozen police officers are accused of coming down with a case of blue flu a sick-out in protest of their frozen wages.’
- ‘They are threatening to picket the convention, or possibly organise an outbreak of ‘blue flu’, to press their demands.’
- ‘They are barred from taking strike action but may consider other forms of protest, similar to the ‘blue flu’ of some years ago when thousands of members went out sick.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.