One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large South African crane with blue-gray plumage.Also called Stanley crane
- ‘Pointing out a blue crane, the symbol of South Africa, one ranger wondered what the next symbol would be - ‘a rainbow chicken?’’
- ‘The paraphernalia attached to the accolade comprises a feather from a blue crane, a leopard skin cloak and hat, a leather chair covered by zebra-skin and a spear and a shield.’
- ‘Running around this landscape of giant heathers, you will also see ostriches, bonteboks, baboons and, if you are lucky, a fly-past from the elegant national bird, the blue crane.’
- ‘He addressed groups of pupils at the High School on the plight of the three species of endangered cranes - the crowned crane, the blue crane and the wattled crane - in South Africa.’
- ‘The picnic area is next, to take some time out and enjoy the sun - and watch several other animals, including the tortoise, wild dogs, steenbok, rabbits and blue cranes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.